What most people do.
Generally, for the majority, every winter when we get sick we vow to do the right thing and be better prepared for next year. So, let’s take action and protect you and your family from colds and flu. You have enough time before winter gets here.
Why should you prepare?
It takes time for your immune system to build up reserves in readiness for the new strains of viruses. And it turns out that prevention is better than cure. A healthy immune defence can:
- Reduce your risk of getting sick.
- Reduces the severity of your cold and flu symptoms if you catch one.
- And can help to speed up your recovery.
Before you know it winter will be here
As soon as you hear the frequent sniffling and coughing around you, your immune system is working hard behind the scenes to fend off those bugs. Catching the cold and flu tend to be synonymous with being run down, stress and a reduction in air temperature. You may find yourself yet again suffering with cold and flu symptoms. It does not have to be that way this time.
How to protect yourself and your family?
What Supplements can I use to prevent and treat symptoms?
Studies show that Natural Medicines can prevent, treat and shortening the time it takes to get over a colds and flu. They can boost your immune system as well as provide a direct defence against the infection.
- Zinc: adequate levels of zinc inhibit the cold and flu viruses.
- Vitamin C: Enhances the activity of your immune fighting white blood cells. Also reducing severity and duration of symptoms.
- Vitamin D: It acts as inflammatory and also helps to build your immune system if it’s low.
- Probiotics have been scientifically proven to enhance immune responses. Due to their ability to providing healthy gut immunity, one of the best defences against inhaled and ingested pathogens.
- Andrographis is a powerful herb that stimulates the body’s natural immune response, and significantly reduces the duration of colds. It can be used as a preventive and very effective for acute treatment as soon as you get cold symptoms.
What the heck I have to change my lifestyle and diet.
Yes, once you get into it, it will become the second nature to you. Here are my recommendations to improve your resistance and support recovery from colds and flu:
- Rest is best. Have a good night sleep, give your body a chance to recuperate
- Eat warm, nourishing foods like homemade chicken and vegetable soup.
- Drink plenty of water and keep yourself well hydrated, especially if you don’t have an appetite.
- Introduce foods such as garlic, ginger, onion and chilli to help warm you up and reduce inflammation and fight off illness.
Make sure you are prepared this cold and flu season and have your immune first aid kit ready. In most cases, cold and flu can last up to 7-10 days. It would be wise to have a:
- Prevention Plan (supplements take the recommended dose on the label)
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D (if you are deficient)
- Eat warming foods
- Schedule in your rest and downtime.
- Drink 2 litres room temperature water per day.
- Reduce your stress, ask for help in those areas.
- Treatment Plan A (supplements take the recommended dose on the label)
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Rest a lot
- Keep hydrated 2-3 litres room temperature water per day
- Eat soups and stews as they are easy to digest
- Eliminate mucus forming foods.
- Treatment Plan B
- If symptoms persist and you are not getting better see your doctor.
Caution a cold and flu can get nasty.
If a persistent cough, accompanied by a headache or fever, a healthcare care professional should evaluate any cough which is productive or yellow or green mucus. You don’t want to end up with pneumonia.
Child with cold and Flu
Precaution: a child with a cough, and fever that spikes at 38.5°C you need to have a plan to manage the temperature, a high fever can quickly turn into a febrile convulsion. Seek medical help if you have any doubts about your child’s well-being, see your doctor as soon as possible. If your baby is under three months and has a fever above 38°C, see a doctor even if there are no other symptoms.
If your child has problems with breathing take them to the hospital immediately or call an ambulance.
Are you inspired and feeling passionate about this article?
Let me know. I would love to hear from you. Furthermore, if you think of a friend or someone special that you would like to read this story… feel free to share it with them. It might be the change they are looking for. Ultimately, my goal is to provide you with the knowledge to make an informed decision on the way to best support your health goals.
If there are any aspects of your diet or health, you would like to discuss or clarify. Contact us through this website or if it is of a more private nature contact me directly.
In wisdom and good health
Phone: 0409 278 320
Written by: Brendon Groves Clinical Naturopathic Practitioner and Founder of Groves Naturopathics